Wednesday 20 January 2010

19: Lamb shanks with mustard and mash, p44

Hmm, a mixed reaction to this one... I've never cooked lamb shanks, and I don't think I've actually had them in a restaurant either. The meat was amazingly tender and fell away from the bone after just an hour and a half in a low oven, and was beautiful, but there was still a bit too much connective tissue - meltingly soft but slightly slimy as T put it.


Smelt amazing whilst it was cooking away in the oven, and the juices were meaty and red winey but I think I'd prefer to thicken them up a bit. And although you need lots of liquid to slowly braise the meat in, because there's only two lamb shanks (yes - it's for two people!), there's about a pint of liquid left, which I guess I'll freeze to use in a gravy at some point.

I would probably also put in a good dollop of cranberry sauce or similar to add a fruity sharpness to cut through the soft, gelatinous tastes if I did this again. But not a disaster at all - nice warming, filling Winter food!


No comments: