Monday 11 January 2010

12: A velvety soup for a clear, cold day, p18

Essentially leek and potato soup... with parmesan rinds added during the brewing stage. I'm not sure if it added that much, a faint parmesany tang/whiff to the finished soup, but hey, leek and potato soup is always good, and there's loads for lunches this week. Also put some in the freezer for when I go back to work in a couple of weeks.



I think the most difficult thing with this challenge is stopping myself cooking things how I'd normally do them or how I would adapt recipes instead of following them really strictly - so I made a soup for what must be the first time without starting off by cooking up garlic and onions, and I blended it until smooth at the end. Strange times!

T thought it was quite okay too, which is high praise from a man who abhors vegetable soups (except tomato), but then I think it was sufficiently akin to a vichyssoise not to repulse, and he's being soooo supportive of this daft idea of mine (I think he's looking forward to the lamb shanks, duck, pheasant, etc later on...after a run of veggie meals, he might not be so keen).

No comments: