Saturday 16 January 2010

17: Roast aubergines with tahini, p322

Oh no! The first duff one, I'm afraid :(

Didn't like this. Had a few minor disasters en route - slightly overdid the aubergines so not exactly 'toasted', and then got distracted reading whilst the pine nuts were toasting - and burnt them to little black bullets, filling the flat with cremated pine nut fumes... second attempt at toasting the pine nuts was much more successful - I didn't leave them unattended for a second.

 
But the final dish was just a bit odd and has given me a tummyache ever since. The jar of tahini (whilst still being in date!) has been sitting on the shelf for a while unopened, and I'd actually forgotten how peanut buttery tahini is, even mixed with the other ingredients it still tasted overwhelmingly peanut buttery, and I think that's what my tummy objected to. The pine nuts* were nice though!

Curious.

T's out this evening, I saved him a little bit to try, but think the chances of him liking it are almost certainly zero... 

* Is it just me, or does anyone else think toasted pine nuts taste a bit like un-popped popcorn kernels, when they've browned and gone a bit crumbly?

No comments: