Monday 28 June 2010

95: Passion fruit roulade, p389

AAArgh. I don't make roulades. But had to make this one at some point... damn damn damn. Stupidly promised to make it for a team BBQ, the day after we got back from hols, which turned out to be the hottest day of the year so far, so ideal for making a roulade!!

First (minor) problem was that I suddenly realised the recipe specifies a 30x36cm tin, which I don't have in my collection of bakeware, damn damn damn. But I do have two 30x16cm tins, so I improvised and made two, thinking I could roll them together.

Recipe otherwise started off okay, egg whites whipped up fine, as did the cream, roulade cooked and rose gorgeously, and then it started to go wrong... roulade stuck to the baking parchment (which was specified - not greaseproof) and started to tear, but I stayed calm and managed to remove the paper from the cake, bit by bit... Spreading on the lemon curd, then the cream, and then the passionfruit seeds and juice, all fine... and then the rolling was the real disaster. How does one roll a roulade, filled with squishy stuff, without all the squishy stuff splurging out?? I didn't manage to stop this happening, and joining the two together just wasn't going to happen. The roulades kind of collapsed into squidgey messes - and ended up looking like a pair of a frogspawn omelettes!! It was too late to make/find another pudding, and we took them to the BBQ, very apologetically... where everyone was very sweet and said they looked lovely (ha!). But they all ate the pavlova that was offer first, before trying the roulade... And phew, it tasted better than it looked, and the whole lot disappear pretty quick. Phew. Phew. Phew. Not to be repeated though... Way too stressful...

No comments: