Friday 19 November 2010

163: Stilton, onion and potato pie, p354

I hadn't read this recipe properly until now and had for some reason been thinking this was going to be an actual pastry pie or perhaps layered slices of sauteed potatoes at best. As a result I was thinking this would be a bit of a meh, vegetarian heaven recipe, but it turned out to be... super lovely creamy cheesey oniony yummy mash potato - yum! Blue cheese isn't my favourite - I've always wanted to like it more, but always seem to find it too tangy and strong, so I wasn't convinced about using stilton - or having to buy a chunk twice the size of what we needed... but glad I did - on serving the cheese had effectively completely melted into everything else and the flavour wasn't overpowering at all. The onions went deliciously sweet and gooey, and the potatoes super creamy and buttery. Not a low cal option but the most lovely comfort food... It didn't quite pass the 'complete meal' test for T though, but with the addition of a couple of grilled sausages and some steamed greens, it made the grade. I think I agree with him. Yum.

No comments: