Sunday 12 September 2010

135: A warm summer fruit compote, p209

...so, after the pigeon disaster and having cleaned the hob once this evening, I decided this would be an easy pudding to tick off. I substituted blackberries, sorry... hey, they are one of the parents of loganberries (blackberries x raspberries = loganberries), and I added some more red currants to the mix to try to balance the acidity as per the recipe a bit more. In the fairly large saucepan I used, the volume of berries plus very small amount of creme de cassis looked like there was no chance it would bubble up too much. Hah. I left the kitchen for a couple of minutes and came back to see they'd boiled and frothed up so much that the hob was flooded again, this time with lurid blood red juice, streaked all down the sides of the pan. The berries were still all in the pan, luckily... But it resulted in a second round of cursing. Followed by cleaning. Nice compote though - I thought it would be a bit sharp but it wasn't, and the juices were glossy and rich. Delicious. Would be excellent with some nice vanilla icecream...

No comments: