Thursday 20 May 2010

69: Asparagus and lemon risotto, p176

Haha, a masterstroke!

A friend from work needed a place to stay overnight last night and I had already decided to make this recipe. That afternoon I asked him if this would be okay, and turns out he cannot eat either gluten or dairy - so a veggie risotto is just perfect (provided the Parmesan was only added to my serving, and I made a minor substitution using olive oil instead of butter to soften the onion).

Love risotto. Why do people always says it's so difficult? It only takes half an hour or so, and if you're pottering in the kitchen anyway, it's easy to keep stirring...

This was incredibly lemony though - and my rule to use the quantities Nigel states in the recipe (unless he specifically says to vary quantities/ingredients in the text) might have needed abandoning, had either of us had mouth ulcers... The zest and juice of two lemons, for a dish serving two people, jeepers! Although I didn't use a litre of stock, only 500ml, as the rice was cooked by the time I'd added this much, so that quantity seems a bit off.

I was worried that the asparagus, which gets popped in the pan fairly early on, might overcook and lose it's flavour, not to mention it's structural integrity, but surprisingly it didn't and it was lovely and tender when the rice was ready. Yum. And very pleasantly accompanied by a couple of glasses of prosecco, supplied by aforementioned chum.

No comments: