Sunday 16 May 2010

67: Taleggio and parsley cakes, p366

This seemed like a good idea at the time... leftover rice vs leftover risotto? Well, I had the former, not the latter, but hoped it wouldn't make tooo much difference. I think it probably did. For one thing, the little balls refused to hold together, so in desperation I mixed in a lightly beaten egg to try to bind the ingredients together. I'm not sure how much better risotto would have worked, but the resulting sloppy mess was unceremoniously dolloped in the frying pan, with a cube of Taleggio (Tescos sells Tallegio, in their Finest range, who knew??) inside each dollop, and fried until golden on each side. Bit of a mess, and nothing like the pic in the book, but made they were, and served to hubby as a pre-dinner snacklet (out to dinner with the in-laws tonight). In his words... 'Hmm. Quite nice', then 'Not bad', and then 'Definitely not inedible' - which weren't the best bits of praise I thought... It's true, they weren't bad, and the cheese was lovely, and interesting creamy, almost smoky, squeakiness like one gets with halloumi, but they weren't overwhelming. And they probably weren't meant to be. Perhaps a dollop of chilli sauce would jazz them up? This is a leftover recipe, after all, and no matter what people say about leftovers, I haven't yet found a leftover recipe that transcends the original, day before, recipe, I'm afraid... Finally word from T? 'I suppose they are a bit 'meh' really....'.


No comments: