Thursday 29 April 2010

61: Treacle tart, p65

Yum. Yum. Yum.

What a weird concept for a pudding... and so easy! Breadcrumbs, mixed with syrup, baked in a pastry case. That's it! Wow! Scrummy. Especially with a good dollop of cream - even scrummier!

I cheated though. Bad me. I hope the shortcut taking is not becoming a habit... I didn't make the pastry case :( I used a bought one... Was in a bit of a hurry mid-week and I'm so bad at making pastry (warm paws, melts the butter and makes it greasy and crumbly and an all-round disaster), I decided not to risk it tonight. There's lots of pastry in The Kitchen Diaries, so plenty of other opportunities to practise!

We've had two long term visitors at work for the last month or so, one from Egypt and one from Indonesia, and they are both going back this weekend, and I'd promised them a 'proper English dinner' - so this was part of it! Roast chicken and all the trimmings, and treacle tart for pudding. And they did seem to like it! Must be odd staying in a country so different from home, and living in a B&B for weeks on end, but never really getting to try to food from that part of the world... Fine if you want to go to a restaurant serving Chinese, Indian, Italian, and any number of other countries' food, but where do you go (other than the Fish and Chip shop) for English food, other than someone's home?

Slightly complicated by the fact that both visitors are Muslim and so only eat halal meat - so I went to Hounslow specially to get a halal chicken. Odd cultural note about halal chickens: they look rather odd compared to our normal chickens for eating... they seem to have great big thighs and not much up top, if you know what I mean. Not very well endowed. Which makes them a rather different shape to regular ones...

Pudding also went down particularly well with my boss, whose little girl is coeliac, so he very happily overdoses on gluten when not at home (pastry filled with bread? Definitely a gluten overdose...).

No comments: