Saturday 6 March 2010

49: Rosewater and yoghurt panna cotta, p204, and A passion fruit puree for panna cotta, p204

Nearly a disaster - halfway through simmering the milk, cream and vanilla, I realised I was missing one of the ingredients - not only that, but one of the ingredients in the title, yoghurt. Doh. So a quick dash up to the corner shop and yoghurt retrieved, the pan is now boiling instead of simmering... Whoops.

I love rosewater, and have had an unopened bottle from a little Asian food shop in the cupboard for quite a while, so this was a good excuse for opening it. I must make rasmalai and baklava and other such yummy things with the rest...

The passionfruit puree reinforced my conviction that life is too short to try to obtain the juice/pulp (sans seeds) from a passionfruit... mashing the flesh through a tea strainer (for such a small quantity it seemed daft to use the big flour sieve...) with a spoon, and cursing as drop by drop I managed to accumulate about 5ml of the damned stuff, T came in several times to see what on earth I was doing, before beating a hasty retreat to the living room. Really - why wouldn't you just use all of the pulp - juice and seeds together? It was like trying to squeeze frogspawn.

And the sodding panna cottas wouldn't turn out, so were more like little custards than anything. I had the splodgy one, T had the one left in the coffee cup which I hadn't tried to turn out. I spooned the miniscule amount of passionfruit puree on top, as you'll see in the photos, on the splodgy half-turned out pudding it just looks like it's the yolk of a fried egg, and on the one left in the cup, it looks like just a cup of orange juice. Brilliant. I'm very glad I didn't save this one for a dinner party... More gelatine next time? Or less boiling of the mixture at the start perhaps?

Nonetheless, it did taste as panna cotta should, jolly scrummy, and vanished in record time :)

No comments: